I am so excited to share with you the blog post I wrote for Sangha Yoga Shala, the yoga studio I work for in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I hope you enjoy! – Charlotte
Link to it here or read below.
While motherhood is filled with many joys, every new mom is faced with many new challenges. Along with lack of sleep, possible challenges with breast feeding, change in the dynamic with your partner and/or other children, and getting used to your baby’s schedule, women are healing their bodies. Most new moms are also desiring to get back into shape and are often times desperate for a quiet moment alone.
Here are our top 5 tips for creating a “New Mom ‘Me’ Moment”:
1. Breathe. While breastfeeding, while your baby naps, or perhaps while bathing your baby, take five long and deep breaths. Inhale through your nose for 5 seconds, hold for 2 seconds, and exhale through your mouth for 5 seconds. Each time, inhale a little deeper and exhale more freely. Don’t be afraid to make sounds while exhaling or try fluttering your lips. It’ll feel good!
2. Stretch. Stretching releases stress and rejuvenates the body. Here are three stretch options:
* When sitting with your baby on the floor, straddle your legs and take a moment to reach one arm overhead toward the opposite leg or simply fold your upper body forward toward the floor.
* While standing, rest your right arm on a table or counter with your right hip a few inches away from the table. Reach your left arm overhead and lean to the right. Try to focus on lengthening both sides of your body, focusing on stretching the left side. Repeat on the opposite side.
* Downward facing dog. You know you love it and new moms NEED it. Start on hands and knees, plant your hands and feet into the floor and send your hips up toward the sky. Feel your back body stretching out and releasing tension. If this hurts your wrists too much, be gentle. The hormone, Relaxin is still apparent in a new mom’s body and may still be affecting joints. (New Mom Yogi/Pilates Bonus! End your down-dog with a child’s pose.)
3. Be a lady who lunches. Find a new mom group in your neighborhood so you can be social with other women in your community while indulging in a healthy luncheon out! Not sure how to find a new mom group? Search for the Yahoo Group that caters to new moms in your neighborhood. Live in Sangha’s hood, Williamsburg? Join the parenting group “brooklynbabyhui”.
4. Nap when your baby naps. Just do it. Hire someone to clean your apartment or house one to three times a week, just for the first few months. With this service, you can focus on getting the sleep YOU need.
5. Go for a walk. It’s gorgeous out. The leaves will be changing soon and the air is crisp, refreshing, and uplifting. It can be daunting to pack the stroller and diaper bag BUT, we encourage you to take that walk and honor the hour or two you are giving yourself to be in nature and fresh air.
By giving yourself a “New Mom Me Moment” you will be a happier mother and, as a result, your baby will be a happier baby. We hope you incorporate these tips into your life for a more balanced YOU.
Join us for a Sangha Yoga Shala New Mom Tea Talk on Monday, October 5th at 2pm. You will be taking part in a 30-minute Pilates Class taught by Charlotte, pre/post trainer and instructor, and a 30-minute nutrition discussion with Alana Kessler, registered dietitian and founder of Sangha Yoga Shala. Tea and a healthy snack will be served with a take home “quick and easy” recipe. Bring your pre-crawler! FREE!
Can’t wait until October to try out Pilates with your little one? Join Charlotte for Mama Moves Pilates for new moms and their pre-crawlers on Wednesdays at 11am!
We hope you can join us!